Re: [NTLK] iWalk/iPad - Why we need it!

From: Jakob Peterhänsel (info_at_dnug.dk)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 16:00:31 EST

Hi All.

I think people are wrong about their assumptions here. I see some point=20=

that might make Apple re-consider making a PDA/VeryMobileDevice:

1: There is a huge demand for portable devices. Look at=20
Palm/Handspring/mobile-phones. They all include the ability to take your=20=

data with you. And they sell, because that's the biggest request from=20
people; "I don't want to manually re-write my computer agenda into my=20
paper based calendar/phone-list" and I need to have my data with me...

2: The above mentioned devices does an OK job at carrying the data, and=20=

in some part displaying it. They do an awful job at editing and entering=20=

data, if you ask me.
The Palm based devices uses Grafitti - it was OK in '93, but times have=20=

changed and so has computing.
The phones simply don't work. Using a Nokia/Motorola/you-name-it phone,=20=

is not great for a calendar! They just do the job for using the phone=20
book, but if you have the choice of editing the phone book on another=20
device, I will bet you do so.

3: Synchronization is a laugh! Even Palm does not do a great job after=20=

so many years. Maybe they try, and maybe it seems like a great job done,=20=

but if you have tried making a HotSync conduit work with the build-in=20
apps, you know that there is no cool way of managing the sync process -=20=

and you can't extend the phone book with your own data like on the=20
Newton. Let's hope SyncML will do a job for the devices coming to =
market.

4: If you ask me, all the devices on the market today works after the=20
same principal as Microsoft: "Give them what WE think people can JUST do=20=

with, and please, don't innovate, don't make life TOO EASY!"
The feature set, expandability and form-factor of the Newton just makes=20=

the PDA possible. It could be better, but remember, this was, if not=20
the, the one of the first PDA's in the world. Since the Newton saw the=20=

light of day, there have only been gadgets and attempt of making Windows=20=

into a pocket-version. Not a success in my world.

When I'm gonna replace my Newton, it will be with a product that;
1: Makes organicing my life easier.
2: Is flexible
3: Syncs with the other platforms I use(Mac, Nokia, etc...)
   Out of the box, or via Well Established protocols, making it possible=20=

to make 'conduits'.
4: Is easy to carry around. (The Newton is fine)
5: Can stand alone, if I at some point don't want a computer/phone etc=20=

to manage my life with. The Newton(MP130) actually made my 'computer=20
needs' for over 1 year!

I think the market is VERY ready for a real PDA that actually WORKS and=20=

makes the life easier! I wan't an iWalk NOW!

Well, let's go blame Germany... (the Canadians did not do it this=20
time...) ;-)

Happy new year to you all....

On torsdag, januar 10, 2002, at 05:29 , peter brigg wrote:

> If Apple could make a pda do voice recognition (maybe wireless & =
phone)
> that might separate them from the market. Otherwise it is a saturated
> market and Apple would be pitching money in a hole.
>
> peter
>
> On Thursday, January 10, 2002, at 09:47 , Stephen Jendraszak wrote:
>

>> As much as I would like to think that Apple is working on a new PDA, =
>> don't think they are. (The iWalk still seems to be a hoax to me... =
look
>> at the interface. Webbrowser? Organiser? I don't think so. A =
prototype
>> would still have correct spelling and American usage.) Apple sees =
PDAs
>> and handheld organizers: datebooks and addressbooks. The Palm, in =
there
>> view, accomplishes these functions very well. So what can Apple add? =
On
>> the other hand, I think Apple will continue to make handheld media
>> devices, like the iPod. These could range from digital cameras with a
>> built-in iPhoto Lite to a portable, tablet sized iMovie studio. Apple
>> may make more handhelds, but I doubt they will ever make a true PDA
>> again.
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj
>>

>> --

        Jakob Peterh=E4nsel

"Tell me why, don't we try, not to break our hearts
   and make it so hard for our selfs"
P.S.B. 1987