Re: [NTLK] Does this stuff exist for the Newton on OSX?

From: Dustin Long (dlong_at_tamu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 13:23:00 EST

The first time I tried installing an AirPort card in a PowerBook, I
neglected to connect the antenna lead to the card.

The PB would pick up a base station within ~1m. Any further than that,
and it'd fail to pick up the connection. Given that the range of the
Airport is supposed to be ~50m, that's a pretty awful bit of news.

This applies to the thread in that you'd have to not only "retrofit" one
of your pcmcia slots to accept (only) an AirPort card, but you'd also have
to provide the antenna! With so many true pcmcia 802.11 solutions out
there that will (a) "fit" into the Newt and (b) not require an additional
antenna, I think the WaveLAN is a *way* better bet for "Wireless Access"
than an AirPort card.

Of course, since I'm completely unskilled in writing drivers for the Newt,
my opinion doesn't matter a whole lot. If someone wants to come up with
an AirPort solution for the Newt, I'd be thrilled! It just seems like
there are a lot of obstacles...

~Dustin