Re: [NTLK] Does this stuff exist for the Newton on OSX?

From: doppler (doppler_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 13:47:29 EST

Dustin Long [dlong_at_tamu.edu] wrote the following 2002-01-12 19.23:

> This applies to the thread in that you'd have to not only "retrofit" one
> of your pcmcia slots to accept (only) an AirPort card, but you'd also have
> to provide the antenna!

as i stated in my previous mail, you WILL need an antenna, but this could be
a simple wire with a std lucent antena connector soldered onto it. the
antenna could be carried separately and attached only when the unit is in
use.

the tricky part is, as you point out:
1.the HW hack
2. the SW hack (go laurent:)

> With so many true pcmcia 802.11 solutions out
> there that will (a) "fit" into the Newt and (b) not require an additional
> antenna, I think the WaveLAN is a *way* better bet for "Wireless Access"
> than an AirPort card.

well, i use both a 802.11b card for my wallstreet PB and a nokia card phone
for the newt, and they are really bulky things. im just waiting for the day
when i break/crack one of those antennas or maybe even worse - PCMCIA slots!

a small, built in airport card would be my choice, even if i had to give
away a PCMCIA slot. (but then, as you say, there are still no drivers
available!)

doppler