Re: [NTLK] [OT] New PC's

From: aaron tester (desktop_at_lavalink.com.au)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 01:25:47 EST

absolutely!

i s'pose i was thinking about this as it relates to architecture. i studied
[it] a for a few years and when you learn about the modernists (Le
Corbusier etc.) you hear 'form follows function' time and time again. it
can be a way of saying "this is the One Right Design", when of course it
isn't.

it seems that with things that have been 'designed' as opposed to
'engineered' there is an awful lot of styling that goes on - that isn't
bad, it's just not form following function anymore. so to criticise those
intel designs for not being 'functional' doesn't make sense - because case
design isn't about that, even if SJ claims it is. think of the hockey puck
imac mouse - some people might like it but it does spin in the hand like a
normal mouse wouldn't.

but you are very right about handhelds, ergonomics are extremely important.
i'm interested to play with a sharp zaurus when they come out ~ that little
keyboard looks like it would be either really good or absolutely rotten.

aaron