Re: [NTLK] eMates and other thoughts

From: Dave Caolo (dcaolo_at_gis.net)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 21:58:47 EST

on 1/23/02 9:09 PM, JForsterMD_at_aol.com at JForsterMD_at_aol.com wrote:

> I just got my eMate from Cees. It is incredible. It was the neatest thing. And
> you know, it reminds me of the iPod. A self contained unit that does what it
> does superbly and every once and a while you need a computer for it.
> I have only seen eMates in pictures. In person, they are very cute. Great
> little keyboards, silent keys. Wonderful for typing. They just are a pleasure
> to hold and examine.
>
> We have talked here alot about what Apple should and should not do. I am
> pretty impressed with the iPod. I have 700+ on it now and it is playing in the
> OR as am I waiting for my next case. Great idea for me. No schlepping of CDs
> around with broken jewel cases. Music where ever I am.
>
> This concept of the digital hub is neat. And works if the pieces are
> functional and every once and a while need the hub. I wish for a PDA that
> works like the iPod. It does not have to do everything. I think of a dremel
> took with all of its attachments. Why not a digital hub with attachments such
> as: PDA, Word processing device, camera, video recorder, music machine. I am
> certain there are other devices like that.
>
> Just some thoughts-but the eMate was truly a step above. jf
Not that this is entirely eMate related (I have one too and love it), but it
addresses your wish for an iPod-like PDA (kinda).

I have a contacts list on my iPod. I did it without scripts or by importing
an existing list on my HD. Go to the sound control panel and create a new
sound, with "CD" selected as the source (no CD in the drive, though). Let
it record for the full five seconds. You how have a new system sound called
"New Sound" (go figure). Drag it to the desktop.

Open it with Quicktime Pro and convert it to a .mov file. Save it as the
name of one of your contacts. You now have a (silent) five second file.
Open iTunes and convert it to Mp3. When you do, enter the artist name as
your contact's phone # and the album as their phone #. Now create a new
playlist called "contacts" or something similar, and drag the file into it.
Reapeat as often as you want.

Sync your iPod and you're all set. You now have a contact list. Choose the
contact you're looking for and you see their name, phone and email for five
seconds. Hit Pause while it's "playing" to keep the info on your screen for
a greater amount of time.

It's labor intensive, but it works.