Re: [NTLK] Newbie with Internet questions

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 08:35:28 EST

> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:18:34 -0800 (PST)
> From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
>
> Yes, I can say that NetHopper cannot handle
> Javascript, Java, VBscript, Flash, embedded quicktime,
> wave files, midi files, tables or frames. Nor can it
> handle server constructs like header redirects. I
> tried it on one of my sites that uses all of these.
> Now, my question is...since we have Waba, can that
> take over the Java interpretation?

Waba would work but only for Java applets that were coded to the Waba
subset. (you also need the WabaTester helper app for Newt's Cape; along
with WabaVM and class libraries installed); it would then handle APPLET tags
like (e.g., from my PFB example):

<APPLET NAME="Pico Fermi Bagels" WIDTH="160" HEIGHT="160"
    CODE="waba/applet/Applet.class" ARCHIVE="PFB.jar,wextra.jar,waba.jar"
    classHeapSize="22000">
<PARAM NAME="appClass" VALUE="PFB">
</APPLET>

though for the Newton, it's probably easier to just create a .pkg file
(using Warp/Exegen desktop tools) and let users download that.

>And with that MOD
> (that's kinda like midi) can't that handle midi?

Newt's Cape's ModSaver plugin will let you download and then play or save a
.mod file. (and various other sound formats (.au, .wav, etc.) via AudInbox
plugin and SimpleMail's audio stationary). I think the MP3 player handles
its own downloads.

>and
> that video viewer, can't that handle quicktime? We may
> be able to map these applications to handle most of
> what's required for a minimum http1.1 browsing
> experience!

generally, it's a small amount of code to set up another app as a Newt's
Cape 'helperApp' to accept a MIME type. current ones:
  http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#NCplugins

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com