Re: [NTLK] [OT] anime

From: Karen Boyette (tokimi_at_collapsar.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:05:50 EST

Oliver Brose wrote:

>>Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:40:59 -0500
>>From: Karen Boyette <tokimi_at_collapsar.net>
>>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Avi's Backdrop wallpaper images
>>
>>although being an anime fan back then didn't carry as much of a negative
>>connotation as it does now, thanks to Cartoon Network.
>>

> Sometimes I wonder whether I should add satellite-TV to our little
> stronghold... what did they do? Strong focus on tentacles?

Well, the problem that I have with cartoon network (and this may not
apply to everyone) is that, thanks to their hacked up, pathetically
dubbed versions of otherwise good programs (except for Dragonball), they
have created a grouping of people who have no concept of what anime
really is. In my experience, most anime fans I have the misfortune of
coming into contact with do not know the meaning of moderation. They
think they are actual anime characters. They refer to themselves as
"chan" and con Japanese teachers into calling them "Misato". They take
Japanese because anime comes from Japan. They wear bright yellow
button-down polyester shirts smattered with random Kanji and Dragonball
characters. Oh, and they smell bad. And if they're not this kind of
juvenile fan, then there's always the "let's watch them Jap chicks get
raped by monsters" kind of people.

I'm just bitter because ever increasing popularity of anime has caused
its fanbase to shift from true anime-appreciators to excessive freaks
and it's made my life hell, since I'm a Japanese major.

And that's why I tend not to tell people I'm an anime fan.

Now aren't you sorry you asked!

karen