Re: [NTLK] Print edition of Programming For the Macintosh - online publication?

From: PaulMmn (PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 14:36:26 EDT

Jim--

I'm afraid that's not the case.

A copyright is good for a fixed period (differs if it's held by a
real person or a corporation or pen name). It does not matter if the
work is still in print or not.

Depending on the contract the author has with the publisher, the
author may regain all rights after a fixed period or if the work is
no longer in print.

This brings up an interesting point-- nowadays, there are instant
print systems that store the entire text of a book in a computer, and
custom-print a copy of the book on demand. All a publisher has to do
is sell 1 copy a year to keep the book 'in print.' New ground for
the lawyers.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com