Re: [NTLK] Urgent! Need help configuring WaveLan!!!

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 14:50:19 EDT

on 07/07/02 04:05, William B Davis Jr at billd_at_ecity.net wrote:

> On Saturday, July 6, 2002, at 12:06 AM, Jesse Garnier wrote:
>
>> Note that I've had stalls using the WaveLAN driver and AppleTalk when
>> doing
>> package installs or backups. But at least I can connect. (I have my OS 9
>> AppleTalk control panel set to Ethernet built-in right now, because like
>> said my AppleTalk over WaveLAN has been unreliable.)
>>

> It is my understanding that AppleTalk will only work over ONE network
> connection at a time in OS X. If you have it turned on for both Ethernet
> and AirPort/WaveLAN connections at the same time, it won't work right or
> at all. If you activate AppleTalk on only ONE of those at a time, it
> works fine.
>
> TC/IP on both sorts of connection at the same time is fine, however.

I made separate location in Network, in OS X, each one with a single port
active at any one time. So, I should be fine. The problem is when I run NCU
in Classic on my PowerBook, which uses hard wire Ethernet connection, my
Newton running wirelessly through my AirPort Base Station cannot see the
printer, an Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR, which is also hard wire to the
Ethernet, but through an AsanteTalk bridge. I'm guessing that this is the
source of my problem. However, if I get the Newton hard wired on Ethernet,
then it sees the printer and NCU fine. So, it must be something with
AppleTalk over AirPort not getting across the bridge. Why those same
AppleTalk packets get through when hard wired to Ethernet? Well, there must
not be exactly the same depending if they're coming out from AirPort or the
Ethernet switch...

-Laurent.