Re: [NTLK] Best Mac laptop for Newton use?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 17:54:54 EDT

on 7/6/02 10:48 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:

> I'd suggest a Duo. Now, you'll have to also find an ethernet microdock (or
> use a minidock or SCSI microdock + SCSI ethernet adapter). You'd end up
> with a nifty little laptop in it's own right too.

Duos have their own problems. I have two. Their worst problem is that their
keyboards are notorious. I have one with a horrible rev. A, and another rev.
B that I ruined with a pencil eraser, trying an experiment (cleaning the
traces inside, to see if it would work better.) :-) I only did it because I
had just bought a rev. F keyboard. :-) Anybody have an extra revision F
keyboard on hand that they would be willing to give up? :-)

Other than that, the Duo is a wonderful, compact laptop. It has a serial
port for native communication with the Newton via LocalTalk. A 280c is
probably one of the fastest computers with the 040 processor. In fact, when
I gave my wife my PB 1400, she complained that it was slower than her Duo
280. She has a point...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland