Re: [NTLK] MoreInfo and Memory Heap

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 23:31:07 EDT

on 08/07/02 23:12, Patrick Jendraszak at indyibook_at_insightbb.com wrote:

> I seem to have a problem with Heap Memory using MoreInfo and am
> wondering if others have experienced similar problems.
>
> I have an upgraded Newton 2000. When I start up my Newton, I have Avi's
> Backdrop running. Memory info shows 1353k used on the Internal Store,
> 2170k free. I have a 4mb card with 3718k used, 83k free.
>
> I loaded the MoreInfo demo (v 5.05) for evaluation after reading the
> comments on the list. Before I start MoreInfo, I show 51844 free Heap
> via Avi's Backdrop. When I use MoreInfo and then exit it, the Heap only
> shows 13600. If I do not try to reclaim Heap by tapping the corner of
> Avi's Backdrop, I sometimes encounter problems using other programs
> since there is not enough Heap left for operations.
>
> Do other people have this problem? I thought about trying ACT, but I
> don't think it offers nearly as many features as MoreInfo.

That's normal. The Newton does garbage collection to regain unused heap only
when it has to. Be careful in not mixing up things. The 1353 Kb used on the
internal store is storage memory. A bit like the hard disk in your computer.
The 51844 free heap is like the RAM in your computer. It's a special area of
the internal memory that is reserved for applications' variables, code and
stuff like that, while the other, storage part, is for storage. When you
reset your Newton, whatever is in the heap is lost, while whatever is in the
storage area is kept.

How much free heap do you have when you reboot or reset your upgraded 2000?
You should have between 300 to 400 Kb. If Avi's Backdrop only reports 51844,
then you're not using all the heap you should on your upgraded 2000. Whether
it is not an upgraded 2000 but a plain 2000, or you're missing the latest
system patch that will let your upgraded 2000 see the additional memory.
Check the system version by doing "Memory Info" when Extras is opened. Then,
check the FAQ.

-Laurent.