Re: [NTLK] MoreInfo and Memory Heap

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 08:54:48 EDT

on 09/07/02 07:16, Patrick Jendraszak at indyibook_at_insightbb.com wrote:

> Laurent:
>
> Thanks for the advice. I gave all the info I had at hand about storage
> and RAM memory to give a complete picture of my Newt. Here's what I
> found:
>
> I was using an older System, 717041. So I downloaded the 717260 patch
> and (after making a backup) installed it. Heap memory appeared to
> increase, but still nothing near the levels you suggested.
>
> My son and I kept reviewing the FAQ and found that what we believed was
> an upgraded MP2000 (the seller didn't really know) is a standard MP2000.
> The OS takes up 912k (in the Memory Info windows) and I believe that
> number should be higher if it is an MP2000u . That should explain the
> difference in Heap.

The key piece here is that when you open Extras, then select Memory Info, in
the lower left corner of the little dialog that appears, it should say:
"System RAM installed 3984K". If it doesn't show a value very close to that,
then you don't have an upgraded 2000.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style: brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute force and ignorance).