Re: [NTLK] So, I just bought one of those cheap eMates . .

From: Radovan Biciste (rbiciste_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 12:10:03 EDT

Hi,
when I was living in Europe I was always asking merchants to send an
item by US Postal Service. Quickly checked USPS website and for 5 lbs
package AirMail should be $38. Service is very reliable. Only problem is
that some mechants will not go to the PostOffice and have contracts with
shipping companies like UPS or DHL.
Radek

------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:57:32 +0100
Subject: Re: [NTLK] So, I just bought one of those cheap eMates . .
From: Peter Rogers <progers_at_sosi.net> on 11/7/02 7:28 am, Richard
Harbottle at r.harbottle_at_ic.ac.uk wrote:

> Hello all,
> I just went and bought one of those $50 eMates from ebay. Who knows
what it
> will be like, but , I thought it might be worth the chance. Sadly,
now I've
> been hit with a $100 charge for shipping to the UK! So, does anyone
know of
> a better (cheaper) way to have things delivered to London, or has
anyone any
> other suggestions for me not to pay this ridiculous shipping charge?
> I hope someone has an idea.
> Richard

hi there
we have been buying stuff from the states for a year or so so now, but the
way to reduce the cost by a small amount is to get the sender to tick the
box marked GIFT on the shipping notice. That means the item is a gift from
the sender to you. As such it does not attract import duty. It is best to
request that invoices are sent separately.

We have received a number of items from private sellers (who to be honest
normally know this and tick the gift box). However some companies flatly
refuse to do it, even making a statement to this effect on their websites.

hope this is of some help

peter