Re: [NTLK] dongle-icious

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 00:18:11 EDT

May I make a recommendation!
Stay away from the daily use of the dongle port. This
is a very delicate and poorly designed interface.
Quite amazing actually when you consider the
engineering masterpiece the rest of the Newt is...But
anyway...this dongle port WILL fail. There is no two
ways about it...it will fail, and it will fail at the
point when you need it most. You can fix it again, but
it is temporary. Then you got nothing. So, my
recomendation to you is to purchase a SER-001 and use
that instead. Then when you really need to use the
dongle port for something (what, I can't even begin to
think of) then you have it available. If it sounds
like I'm trying to scare you, then yes...I am! I hope
you're scared.
Heed these words well.
Ed (with a broken dongle port)
web/gadget guru

--- Alex Nonnemacher <nonjo_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> Fellow Newties,
>
> I recently bid on a MP 2100 and am completely blown
> away by the thing! I
> don't care how much bigger it is than my Handspring:
> the hw recognition
> is amazing, and I'm delighted with the active
> community despite the
> Newton's being EOL'd.
>
> Anyway, This Old Newt
> (http://www.thisoldnewt.com/html/hints/index.html)
> lists the following phone number as a viable way to
> get the infamous
> dongle needed for these Newtons (Apple and their
> proprietary
> connectors!). Does anyone know if said dongle is
> indeed available from
> Apple? I listed the part number, too, as found on
> This Old Newt.
>
> Apple Fulfillment Center Call 1 888 273-3594
>
> Serial Adapter #590-0756A.
>

> alex nonnemacher
>
> nonjo_at_comcast.net
> nonjo_at_mac.com

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting