[NTLK] Mathematics

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 17:15:35 EDT

> That there is some sort of multiplication is clear after reading the web
> pages of Stephanie. She replaced the 3.686 MHz x-tal with a 5 MHz type to
> get the higher speed and reported a factor of nearly 44 (unusual, hmm, but
> possible)

Maybe it is because one of the three brain cells in which my remaining
knowledge
of mathematics is stored is currently on vacation, but I don't see how this
can be possible. Let's make the 3.686 MHz x-tal a 3.0 MHz one to allow using
the remaining two brain cells instead of a calculator.

If we assume the 3 MHz crystal is the original, replacing it by a 5 MHz one
would
increase the frequency by a factor of 5/3 = 1.67. Assuming a "by two"
multiplier
the frequency inside the chip would be 6 Mhz before and 5/3 * 6 MHz after
the
change, thus also a factor of 1.67. In other words, the Newton would
be 1.67 times as fast as before or 67% faster. A factor of 44 would be an
increase by 4400 percent?

Frank (puzzled)

http://www.pda-soft.de