Re: [NTLK] Geez people, freaking get over it

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 03:06:57 EDT

> I really like Apple, and I tend to think they are somehow "different"
> from other companies... but even to, me this sounds a little naive.

   I don't really like it, but I can understand it from a financial =
point of view. What I think is worse than "Apple acting like a drug =
dealer with iTools.." is the fact that the stock market is absolutely =
brutal with AAPL in ways that it almost never is with the other tech =
companies. Apple posts a profit less than expected and their stock =
drops by half. Now perhaps back when Apple was at 54 or whatever last =
year it was overvalued. Yesterday, the again post a profit less than =
expected (or was it just less than this quarter last year - hell, almost =
*everyone* posted earnings less than this quarter last year! That's why =
they call it a recession!), and again, the stock drops precipitously, =
shedding 15% of it's value. I was reading some of the news reports =
linked from Yahoo's quote page and almost every one is something =
negative - "Apple undervalued by risky" said one (well, everything in =
the stock market seems risky these days..). And I can't help but think =
they're just now saying this after the quarterly report comes in.. =
Which then probably causes more people to sell than would otherwise, =
just looking at the bare reported number of "only" 9 cents/share, =
probably including institutional investors which probably do more damage =
to the stock price than individual investors.

   As one person on MacSlash said last year (the notorious 50% drop =
after-hours), when has Dell *ever* turned a profit? (don't quote me on =
that though - Dell probably has..)

Jim=