Re: [NTLK] Geez people, freaking get over it

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 03:13:08 EDT

Salutations,

on 7/19/02 2:28 AM, Stephen Jendraszak at stevehj_at_mac.com wrote:

>=20
> On Friday, July 19, 2002, at 12:34 AM, SlashDevNull wrote:
>> You had to tell everyone when you got a Mac email address. So you
>> have to
>> tell everyone when again.
> Good luck finding every person you have given the address to, and every
> piece of work you have attached it to, and making the necessary
> corrections.

Do you really care about everyone you have ever given your address? Really=
?
The important people you will email your new address, just like you did
before. The unimportant recipients you won't care about. Same as before.

If you _really_ want to send everyone your new email address, just look in
your 'Sent Items' folder. Send it to everyone there.

>=20
>> Some of you act like Apple is some type of drug dealer <snip>
> Well, this is exactly how drug dealers do business... get you hooked,
> then up the price.

This comparison is so _IDIOTATICALLY_ stupid I can not believe anyone is
making it. There is a world of difference between addictive drugs and
software that EVERYONE can walk away from tomorrow. There is a world of
difference between having a substance that causes people to destroy their
lives and an email address. The comparisons ( and YES, I know someone is
gonna try to be a smartass and try the lame 'But their actions are the same=
'
argument ) are moronic and completely discredit anything you would write
afterwards.

>=20
>> 5) .Mac will now cost money. ITools used to be free but now it costs
>> money. Sure it would be nice to stay free, but if you haven't noticed
>> almost all free services have dropped by the wayside. Apple is also
>> adding
>> more services to .Mac.
> And when I bought OS 9, the main selling point on the front of the box
> was "now with iTools." iTools is part of Mac OS 9 and X.

.Mac is still a part of OS 9 and X. .Mac is better integrated than _any
other_ Internet suite and OS out there. That integration and service _does=
_
cost money.
>=20
>> 6) Running Apple costs a fortune. Look at the crappy wintel model.
>> Intel pays for R&D and gives tons for money to hardware manufacturers.
>> MS
>> spends tons of money for R&D (and it doesn't show) and they give tons of
>> money for business using solely ms products. Apple has to fund it's own
>> hardware AND software development. For all of it's products. And it
>> is now
>> in the applications business to raise their market share.
> I can understand that Apple is in a tough financial spot. But this is
> not the way to make up the difference.

Ok Mr. Finance. How would you do it?

>=20
>> 7) Bandwidth _is_ expensive. Apple is not running everything off
>> of a
>> cable modem in the back. Running a server farm is expensive. Simply
>> keeping the server farm cool would bankrupt most of us.
> Yeah, it is expensive. But then, we were paying for it, whenever we
> bought a new Mac or OS license, one of the features of which was
> "iTools."

Exactly. You paid for the development of iTools and the initial run. Whic=
has been several years. Itools is not .Mac. It is hugely successful. It
is used by 2.2 million people. Apple simply can not afford to keep paying
for over 2 million people internet services.

Sure, I would like for Apple to keep the POP3 email for free. But they
didn't.=20

>=20
>> 8) For some reason, I just have the feeling that Apple is making very
>> little profit, if any at all, from each .Mac subscription.
> I really like Apple, and I tend to think they are somehow "different"
> from other companies... but even to, me this sounds a little naive.

So I spent $49. And in a year, another $100. Think about what Apple needs
to do. Server farms. People to support those farms. Cooling, wiring,
buildings. People to support all of 3 of those. Software developers and
people to support them. And a _ton_ of bandwidth. UPS'es, rows of
batteries and backup systems. Hundreds of terabytes of data storage.

Who do you think paid for the bandwidth for the latest MacWorld broadcast?

Don't forget the people who will still use .Mac for free. You know, the
people who will create email address for a short amount of time. People wh=
create .Mac idisks to transfer software to others. Apple is still
supporting these people also. And their bandwidth. And Apple is not makin=
a dime off of the trial users.

The bottom line is that it is very expensive. I think it is na=EFve for you
to think that Apple is making more than a tiny amount of profit from each
account of .Mac.

If you don't want to pay the cash, then don't use it.

You can find cheaper email and web services. Just remember that you get
what you pay for.

Cheers,
David