Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 15:48:21 EDT

On Sunday 28 July 2002 20:10, Joshua Johnston wrote:
> Unfortunately, it looks like Paul is going for the die-hard
> pay-any-price type, instead of really contributing to the Newton
> community. I'm sorry, but $50 for a product that'll only be truly
> -useful- to a small fraction of a percentage of the Newton community is
> price gouging, particularly when it could be a lot more useful to a lot
> more people, simply by lowering the price significantly. At $10 like
> Hiroshi's wireless driver, the ATA driver could become ubiquitous. A
> real contribution to the community.

IMHO you should first check out the things Paul Guyot already has donated
to the Newton community before flaming him on the price of the ATA drivers.

> As was earlier mentioned, the price parity point between linear flash
> and ATA flash is the 128M storage point. How many Newton users have the
> desire to keep over 32M of storage, let alone 64 or 128+? At $10 or
> even $25, I'd consider getting the driver as a way to support the
> community even if I didn't need it. At $50, that's just gouging.

Those of us who need it will pay the price, as it is more than reasonable.
If you don't like it, don't buy it. As you said, you can get along fine
with linear flash.

> Hiroshi's wireless driver, much more useful, costs 1/5 as much money and
> can be used by a lot more Newton owners than the ATA driver. That, in
> my opinion, is an example of someone trying to help the community.
>
> This isn't.

Are you a Newton developer? Do you know whether those two projects even
come close WRT work and knowledge of the Newton's insides?

> If you think 50 EUR is a fair price, then you either have a lot of
> expendable money, you're one of the few that -somehow- manages to have a
> lot of storage requirements, or you're so blinded by fanaticism that you
> fail to see how this kind of thing really isn't very practical.
>
> I suspect a lot more money could be made with this at $10-25 instead of
> 50, as well as being a larger contribution to the community at large.
>
> How many people here -need- more than 32M? 64M? Is it worth a hundred
> bucks to get 128M in a single card instead of four?
>
> I suspect, fanatics who don't mind being gouged aside, the practical use
> numbers are miniscule.

Pay the price or get over it.

I'd buy MoreInfo at USD 5.00, but it ain't gonna happen. No use in whining
over it.

--
Jazz.

"Loquendi libertatem custodiamus." (Pim Fortuyn's epitaph)