Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: Donald Wilson (marchie_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 18:55:14 EDT

At ~$50, the price is a wee bit steep for me, but I'll likely pay it,
and consider the $75 so I can run it in both my 2100 and the 130.

Would I be more willing to pay ~$35 or so? yes.

Would I be thrilled if Paul looked into pricing ATA Support at a lower
cost for students, akin to Steve Weyer's setup? Absolutely, since I use
my Newton DAILY in school (college) to take notes, and write papers, but
tuition must be paid first.

I'm an avid supporter of Shareware, and unlike many others, I try very
hard to pay the fees. Most of the software I use isn't commercial, and I
respect the amount of work it takes to produce commercial-quality (or
better-than-commercial-quality) software.

It's always the programmers right to charge what they think is fair for
their services, as it's my right to charge what I think is fair for my
services as a musician (bagpiper) for weddings, funerals, and the like.
I've been accused of "gougeing", and was quite insulted. If everyones
next-door neighbor could play the pipes, you could get a piper for the
same price as your neighbor kid will mow the lawn for you.

If everyone's nextdoor neighbor could code drivers for a dead computing
platform as odd as the Newton, we'd have ATA support for "free, but
please send this starving college student $10".

Even before I have this installed on my Newtons, I say Thank You Paul!
(and please think about student pricing!)

~Donald