Re: [NTLK] Mad Max Streams

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 12:48:45 EDT

Hey there...I know that this is an old thread, but I
was just playing around with this on my Newt (I run a
shoutcase server for myself and my wife to listen to
music at work) and wanted to show the Newt playback my
MP3s (cool factor). What I found is that if you have
the card set for "Store everything on the card" (that
little checkbox there on the card slip) the Newt will
playback the MP3s very choppy! My Shoutcast is
streaming at 40/kbps 22kHz stereo. It streams nicely
as long as my 32mb Pretec isn't involved.
interestingly, when I use my 2mb Newton (apple
branded) battery powered card, the streaming isn't
choppy either...I suspect it has something to do with
the memory speed...non battery powered RAM cards are
much slower than internal RAM or battery powered RAM
(found this out the hard way on my digital camera)
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain! Now up all weekend! only had to restart the
service twice)
--- Rolf Brakvatne <rbrak29_at_qwest.net> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I am running on a 2100. The 2100 has the same
> processor speed, but the 2100
> has, I believe, twice the memory.
>
> The choppiness could be a system heap problem, other
> program or extension
> conflicts. I do have 1495K free internal memory and
> a 32 MB card with 22000k
> free. AVI's background app states that I have 320000
> frames free (whatever
> that means) when only AVI is running. The frame
> number drops to around
> 170000 to 200000 when MadMax is streaming. SOMA FM
> seems to be the only
> stream that works most of the time.
>
> Rolf
>

> on 5/17/02 5:29 AM, Richard Barraclough at
> richard_at_sigma.ndo.co.uk wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the same problem on my MP2000: Sound cuts
> out even on low bandwidth
> > streams. Is it just because the 2000 isn't
> powerful enough? (I thought they
> > had the same processor & speed though??)
> >
> > Richard
> >

> >> Rolf Brakvatne wrote not long ago (5/14/02 5:00
> PM):

> the sound cuts out quite a
> heap problem?

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting