Re: [NTLK] OT - MS OS incompetence (was The OQO should have been the new Newton?

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 04:33:01 EDT

> I maintain my wife's PC, and she often
> complains that when waking up the computer, the screen doesn't come up,
> or
> trying to logout, something seems to be stuck somewhere,

   I get that too, running Win98SE on a Compaq Presario 1270 laptop.
Can't figure out (and don't want to put in a half day figureing out) how
to get the 'save to disk' feature in the BIOS to work without
reinstalling the default Compaq Restore CD which installs all manner of
@#$@% on the disk, and gives me that stupid 2GB recovery partition that
doesn't even seem to WORK! Anyway, when I just tell Windows to stand-by
in it's low power mode, the power light starts to blink, as I think it
should, but when I hit a key the disk spins up and the light stos
blinking, but no screen, or at most a blinking DOS cursor. Sometimes
it'll come back to life after a few minutes, sometimes now.. Must be
the position of the Oort cloud..

Jim