Re: [NTLK] [OT now] The OQO should have been the new Newton?

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 18:15:06 EDT

Laurent Daudelin wrote:
> The problems have been documented again and again for many virus. One
> example is the way that Outlook (I think it was Outlook) which opens
> the entire OS to any VisualBasic commands embedded in an email
> message. That is an example on how stupid an OS (and the company
> that makes it) can be. Why on Earth would you give the power to
> delete almost any file on your hard disk from an email message?

Um, that was a bug that was fixed ages ago. Yes, that is a mistake -- but it
doesn't make an entire OS bad. Or are you suggesting that there are no such
mistakes in *nix, MacOS, and other OSes?

It isn't a standard "feature" that scripts get auto-executed from Outlook. It
was a bug. They happen.

 - John...