Re: [NTLK] Greek Fonts 'n Unicode

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 11:23:22 EDT

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 20:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Daedalus Guy <daedalus_guy_at_mac.com>

>A few notes regarding Paul's post. First, I'm under the impression
>that the Athenian font still costs money. It is now usually found
>in the "Greek Keys" package, as one of a group of (presumably
>unicode) Greek fonts.

Indeed, but you can download it and use it for free.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Help/Athenian_Font.html
The classical Greek font "Athenian" is copyrighted by the American
Philological Association; it may be freely distributed to facilitate
the distribution of ancient Greek texts on the World Wide Web and
other platforms, provided it is not offered for sale and is
accompanied by the "ReadMeGK" instructions file.

>Unicode might make printing impossible, I'd think.

Er, why?
The only problem is if the laser printer doesn't have the
corresponding font. If you use a personal encoding, no laser printer
will have the proper font.

>But, I'll definitely keep your offer in mind (for designing an input method).

Well, the thing is that I'm waiting until having a good unicode Greek
font to update alt.rec.... to support Greek input with something
similar to nJIM support (i.e. you write some roman and it will
display Greek by translating, if required using a dictionary).

>Symbol, as a font, doesn't provide much for writing real Greek text
>(no accent or breathing marks, incomplete Greek punctuation, lacks
>certain common characters such as final sigmas, etc.), plus making
>Greek words out of symbol doesn't look particularly great.

This is the main problem. I haven't figured out how to make accents
and breathing (?) (not sure of the English word for the little sign
above first rho/vowel of words).

>At any rate, many thanks to all of you again. From what you all
>wrote, it seems there may be some definite advantages, especially in
>the case of the Newton, to stay away from unicode (printing,
>handwriting, keyboard layout).

I strongly disagree about that. Unicode is the only encoding allowing
you to have both Latin (with accents) and Greek text. Check this web
page for example:
http://www.kallisys.com/apropos/?lg=fr

If you want to exchange data simply with the Newton in Greek, use
Unicode (which is basically what I'm most interested in). For
example, Perseus does GreekKeys encoding as they used to do, but they
also do Unicode now.

If you only want to type data and print it, use whatever you like (it
won't work with Laser Printer, though).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/