Re: [NTLK] Greek Fonts 'n Unicode

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos (AdmiralAK_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 12:46:17 EDT

I caught the tail end of this discussion I think :p
Symbol is very incomplete, however it does have a final sigma.
It is the capital V :-)
I used to write in symbol, but I REALLY hated to have to change font to
write something in english, and the change back to symbol for greek, which
really did not have any accents.

Modern greek is REALLY simple, compared to ancient greek. No breathing
marks, and there are only 2 accent marks. The accent aigu like accent whic=
goes on all vowels, and the dieresis sign which is used only on iota to
break up vowel clusters
E.g.
Ai =3D eh (sound -wise)
A=EF =3D ah eeee

AK

On 6/10/02 11:27, "Paul Guyot" at <pguyot_at_kallisys.net> Wrote:

>=20
> Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:00:17 -0700
> From: "Michael 'Mickey' Sattler" <michael_at_GeekTimes.com>
>=20
>> Well, it's been a while since I cracked the Newton programming
>> manuals now safely covered with dust in the basement, but some small
>> part of my memory remembers that all Newton fonts are Unicode (even
>> though the NewtonScript input methods appear to use ASCII).
>>=20
>> I think this is why NewtonBooks (in Unicode, double-byte) are twice
>> the size of the ASCII (single-byte) text.
>=20
> Well, to be exact, the strings on NewtonOS are encoded with Unicode
> UCS2. Hence this size of books.
>=20
> But the fonts don't use anything. They can have a character table
> either in Unicode or in MacRoman for the NewtonOS to use them. And
> built-in fonts only provide a glyph for MacRoman characters (e.g. you
> can't do the power 2 character which is part of ISO-8859-1).
>=20
> Paul

| DJ Admiral |
| Club Admiralty 1996-2002 |