Re: [NTLK] 2100 vs 2000u?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 14:05:23 EDT

Go here:
http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed
I give two different versions of the acceleration
process. I am currently running both versions. My NPDS
server (npds.tek-ed.com) is permantly hardwired to
219Mhz while my personal Newton is switchable. This
allows me the flexability to interact with
non-acellerated newts.
Speaking of compatibility, There is very little that
will be a problem. One problem is that while
acellerated, you will not be able to beam to normal
Newts. Not a problem if you're the only Newt in a 100
mile radius, but becomes a problem when you show up at
the next NUG meeting!
Speech is rather "chipmunky" sounding, but you can get
it to be somewhat normal by playing with the prefs in
the in/out section. Then there's the additional power
drain. While acelerated, your Newt will draw an
additional 15-20ma (avi's shows 52ma non acelerated,
and between 65-70 acelerated)
And, while there's been alot of theory about the
effects of acellerating your Newt, in practice, the
Newt show no ill effects of running at 35% higher than
normal. There are enough people on this list running
acelerated Newts and the benefits far outweigh
potential negatives...
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
--- John Fraser <john_fraser_at_mac.com> wrote:

> does it really matter?
>
> btw I grabbed a 2000u + 32MB card good battery and 2
> ac adapters from a guy
> for $127.00 shipped. Is that a good deal?
>
> Where are the best instructions on how to overclock
> these bad boys.....
>
> Will everything still function? (all I really need
> is wireless ethernet and
> my 32MB to work).
>

> --
> Read the List FAQ/Etiquette:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Read the Newton FAQ:
> http://www.guns-media.com/mirrors/newton/faq/

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting