Re: [NTLK] Convincing argument against MS

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 14:18:24 EDT

On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 11:48 AM, Lee, Christopher J wrote:
> In regards to MS business practices, I guess maybe I'm just a little
> jaundiced in my...err...outlook. I see ALL institutions as basically
> corrupt, especially those dedicated to the acquisition of wealth. Apple
> is
> like any other company and "waging against mediocrity and
> user-unfriendliness" isn't the primary goal of the coropration - MONEY
> is.
> IF Apple could make money through "user-unfriendliness" I'm sure it
> would.
> Fact of the matter is that Apple isn't the company started in a garage
> anymore...it's a Corporation with a capital "C" like all others.
> Clinging to
> some flag emblazoned with an Apple while storming the holy land is just
> foolish.
Companies do not always behave as Microsoft does. Of course, all
companies want to make money. But many companies want to do it while
accomplishing something else. For example, your personal physician wants
to make money doing his job. But his main goal is healing people. Etc.
Microsoft is solely focused on what it can do to maximize profits. As
for Apple, and NeXT, and Be, and many other computer companies... the
goal is to make great products, and hope to make some money along the
way. Which may be why all of these companies have had financial
troubles, but it is also why (ON TOPIC) our beloved Newton exists.

> Ford was a virulent anti-semite. Should you decide not to drive a Ford
> car
> because of this?
It hardly seems to matter now, seeing as how he is dead and all. Now, if
you told me the CURRENT Chairman and CEO was a virulent anti-Semite...
yes, I would probably avoid buying from Ford.

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj