Re: [NTLK] Suddenly I can't Backup my Newton

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 22:30:36 EDT

OK...this is going to sound funny coming from me...but
I seem to remember once-upon-a-time...someone else
having the same problem and the solution was to delete
the preferences on the Mac...Now, I don't know which
preferences that was, but perhaps someone on this list
has a better memory on this than me.
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- James Charney
<James_Charney_at_FirstClass.choate.edu> wrote:

> Hello--It's been awhile since I've needed to request
> help from the list.
> But now is the time! I've had no trouble Synching
> and Backing Up my
> Newton 2000 onto my Powerbook G3 (OS Mac 9.1) for a
> couple of years.
> But suddenly, my Newton can't communicate with NCU
> on my Powerbook. My
> setup is this--a Farallon Ethernet card, plugged
> into a Farallon hub,
> which is plugged into the Ethernet socket of my
> Powerbook. I tap Dock and
> then connect on my Newton, the barber pole whirls,
> then "no response" is
> the message, and the NCU stays ghosted on my Mac.
> I've changed nothing that I can tell from the last
> time I had a routine
> connection and backup which was about two weeks ago
> (except for
> downloading a trial of Adobe Photoshop Elements,
> which is working
> fine--could there be a conflict?). Appletalk is set
> (as always) to
> Ethernet. I've done the usual generic
> fixes--Restart of both Newton and
> the Powerbook; zapped PRAM, and even rebuilt my
> desktop--no luck!
> I went to my older desktop Mac, and was able to do
> a very very slow
> serial backup of my Newton there, so the Newton
> seems OK.
> There are so many variables. Is it my Ethernet
> card? Or any of the
> plugs? or the hub? or the NCU software on my
> Powerbook? I'm not sure where
> to look--or what to do next!
> I noticed that while the Newton is trying to
> connect to NCU, the little
> green light on the Farallon card is NOT blinking--I
> don't remember if it
> is supposed to light up at that stage--I know it
> does light up
> intermittently when I am actually doing a backup.
> Please--any advice on how to fix this will be
> desperately appreciated. I
> guess it's good that I can still do a serial backup
> on my old
> computer--but that is just a reminder of why I
> switched to Ethernet--what
> a difference!
> Help me get my Ethernet connection back! Jim
> Charney

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting