Re: [NTLK] Convincing argument against MS

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 02:05:56 EDT

Salutations,

  OH, I get it. You were using the '$' to signify money? Is that money
Apple is making or losing? Let's see.

> What's it called when Apple charges TOP dollar for their products and
> then drops them like hot potatoes?

I think it is called dropping money losing programs. The Newton was costing
Apple money and the Clones were killing them. I'd be more than happy to go
into how the clones were killing Apple. And themselves by the way. Power
Computing had to ask Apple for a loan. And this is after Power Computing
reneged on their promise on how they were going to market their machines.

> (NEWTON, Clones, various chips and software)
> Is that called $erving $atisfied citizen$ ???

We just covered the Newton and the clones. Let's look at chips. Personally
I think you are right. I wish Apple would do what Intel does and just
change the form factor and lock each processor to a specific motherboard.
That works out much better.

Meanwhile, I have a Power Computing 604 150 MHz processor machine, but I
have upgraded it to a G3 450 and it runs Mac OS 9 very well. Of course I
could try to do that same thing to a Pentium motherboard, but I can't. Or a
Pentium II, or III, or 4.

As for software, I would hope Apple does what microsoft does. Bring out a
new version of different OSes every year and then make their own software
require the newest version of the OS to force existing customers to upgrade.
But microsoft does seem to find time to ignore security in their products so
that they need to issues bug fixes on a weekly basis.

> I've got 3 older mac$ and one mac clone...none can run O$X

So? Hate to break it to you, but the OVERWHELMING dominant Mac OS is 9,
maybe even 8. OS X hasn't even broken 25% yet. OS 8 & 9 still serve
millions of people every day.

> ...they are in
> the clo$et...gue$$ it$ time to $pend more money on a new Apple and hope
> that $teven Job$ doe$n't di$continue it for another few month$
> I'm $o happy that Apple is really about $erving the Cu$tomer.

So am I. I am very happy Apple is serving the customer. I program for
windows and it is a damn ugly POS OS. And as for needing cutting edge, fats
hardware, I am running OS X, since the public beta, on a G4 400. And quite
happily. I have NEVER thought I need to buy faster hardware.

I am not saying Apple is perfect. But I am saying that Apple is still the
best in town. Bar none.

Cheers,
David