Re: [NTLK] Re[2]: Re[2]: Convincing argument against MS

From: Bradford Schmidt (brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 17:28:20 EDT

Wednesday, June 12, 2002, 5:05:39 PM, richard wrote:

>>The point is that they dumped on 4-6 million users by not enabling
>>hardware acceleration under X - and then changed their tune only
>>when a lot of noise was made...Point is, business is business...

> Did you notice the speed increase from OS X 10.0 to 10.1? Notice how
> they didn't ship the OS with CD/DVD authoring? I had the latest
> Superdrive G4 and 10.0 couldn't use its authoring capabilities.

And that is inexcusable. Really, 10.0 was crap. And they knew it.
It was no more than a beta to 10.1, which has some brilliance to it.
But they wanted to ship, so they did.

> promise. All the signs are that Apple is working very very hard to
> give Mac users the best OS it can. I am sure Apple would love it to
> support Colour Classics if they could, but there are limits. The

A Y2K Powerbook isn't exactly a color classic. And the installed base
was huge.

Anyway, my point was just that Apple isn't the "feel good, never fuck
the customer" company that some apologists think. Personally, I
wasn't actually saying they did anything wrong - I was just trying to
make a point.

Bradford Schmidt
http://www.bradfordschmidt.com
mailto:brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com