[NTLK]

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 10:15:18 EDT

I wrote:

OK, that's three of us with Mike's Newts who have problems with alignment.

I've got mine apart (for $70 wanted to play) and can't really see how this
could happen, except in the software? Anyone know how the alignment routine
does its thing? Does anyone know if the alignment is even tweakable in
software?
<

Bernie replied:

I don't think its a software problem as I did a complete swap of logic
boards between Newt's and the problem stayed with the original unit that
had it in the first place. I tend to think there's some hardware issue
here. It's interesting that the problem seems to be consistent in the
same part of the screen. Could it be that the software they used on
these Newts caused this problem through consistent use?
<

Another explanation could be that these Newts were found in a closet after
the others had been sold because they'd been dumped there because of this
problem. I could try the touch screen in my other Newt, but reluctant to
tamper with that one a) because it's working well and I don't want to mess
with it, and b) I use it all the time.

I notice four test touchpads near where the touchscreen cable meets
motherboard, I suspect they are to test input from the touchscreen. Anyone?
  I'd stick my voltmeter on 'em, but the Newts in so many pieces right now,
.. I really liked that "photocopy the motherboard and stick the screws to
it" idea, how come you didn't tell me that a week ago...

jc