[NTLK] Touchscreen misalignment/Dr.Newton was:

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 10:40:31 EDT

I just got an email from Dr. Newton (AKA Dave Watson, "Digital Ocean" Dave,
DOD) about the misaligned touchscreens. He suggested a brain wipe (already
done multiple times) and related the following:

"I'd also be willing to open up the MP2100 and clean the touchscreen face /
bezel surfaces but I can't assure you it will help the situation. It may
just be a touchscreen that's went bad. It might also be "crud". I remember
reading comments on NewtonTalk in the past that claimed corrupted "soups"
could cause things like "jaggies" as they say ( not sure I would believe
this unless I saw it with my own unit ). As a quick test of that as a
possible cause of your misalignment problem, back up the unit and do a
complete "brain wipe". Then after restart, see how it aligns and behaves
(without installing any software of course ).
Regarding touchscreen problems........
My own MP2100 that I've carried for 4 years developed "jaggies" a year or so
ago. What I found was that even the slightest pressure at and just above the
lid latch caused it ! There was no crud. I cleaned everything very
carefully. It was as if over time, the bezel edge at that site ( about 2" )
had warped inward but you couldn't really see it. I sliced off the end of a
standard paper business card and positioned it exactly in that area between
the bezel and the touchscreen. Voila ! That fixed it ! The paper spacer
apparently kept the surfaces from touching or better distributed any
pressure that was there. Note: When you use the MP2x00 in "portrait" mode
( holding it in your right hand ) your right thumb tends to rest / push on
that same area. Perhaps that caused the problem in my case.

I wouldn't charge anything to disassemble the 2100 and clean up the
surfaces. Just understand that I might not be able to help it at all."

So, there you go. I'm sending a couiple of mint MP2Ks for upgrade ($75
USD/ea + flat $20 USD shipping), and I'll probably send this 2100 as well
for his professional opinion. More as develops...

Regards,

Gary