Re: [NTLK] My Solar Powered Newt

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 10:47:21 EDT

> Hello. Anyone know if the product linked below would
> work as a solar power source for my Newts? There
> seems to be a small enough female pin
Technical Specs:

  a.. Rated output: 2.2 watts (145mA @ 12volts, 290mA @ 6volts)
  b.. Temperature Range: -40°F to 176°F (-40°C to 80°C)
  c.. Voc = 15.2 VDC (12V setting) or 7.6 VDC (6V setting)
Before using it you should make shure that the 12V setting is never used. I
think that there is a switch to connect the two panels in series or parallel
(with diode decoupling) to the the above power out. The Voc value seems to
be something like maximum possible voltage, which will appear w/o load. With
load the rated 290mA @ 6V are reached which are enough to charge an empty
Newton accu in about 4h or more (depending or sun intensity) or operate the
Newton completely with solar energy.
Nevertheless it has a male and female output you'll have problems wiht the
Newton power plug: They are hard to find.
Beside the fact that this panel is cute and certainly works good with the
Newton it is rather expensive. A bare solar panel of a comparable size
should be available for about 10...20USD.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG