Re: [NTLK] [OT] Help with my site

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 16:42:58 EDT

On 13/06/02 16:17, "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> on 6/13/02 3:21 PM, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
> wrote:
>

>> On 13/06/02 14:38, "Konstantinos Xonis"
>> <Konstantinos.Xonis_at_physik.uni-giessen.de> wrote:
>>
>>> I couldn't get to it either.
>>
>> Thanks to all that did respond! That confirms to me that something is wrong
>> somewhere, but not here, at the office.
>>
>> Now, what could be wrong? I've read a message from Eric Strobel saying he
>> wouldn't be surprised that Cox is somehow "blocking" those packets. If it
>> was so, how could they do that? I've got some real nice traceroute listings,
>> but I'm not sure how to read them. Is there anything on these traceroute
>> listings that would tell me that the packet is somehow "blocked"? I know
>> that the traceroute seems to go through a few servers at Cox, but other than
>> that, I don't know.
>>
>> If that was the case, why was I able to access my machine on Tuesday?
>>
>> -Laurent.
>
> My guess (just a guess, nothing but a guess, so help me God): the Cox
> firewall 'knows' that dyndns is a popular means of folks running servers
> from inside their system and watches specifically for this (and other types
> of traffic) to try and squash the most people with the least effort.
>
> (BTW, just to make sure I'm clear, I assume your server is your home machine
> and that you're trying to access from the office, which is not accessing via
> Cox.)

So, then shouldn't using the IP address, like 68.100.24.245, would be able
to get through? I'm not trying to be stubborn here, just to understand
better what's going on ;-)

I'm at the office, but my home computer is connected to the Internet through
the (good?) service of Cox...

-Laurent.

drone n.: Ignorant sales or customer service personnel in computer or
electronics superstores. Characterized by a lack of even superficial
knowledge about the products they sell, yet possessed of the conviction that
they are more competent than their hacker customers. Usage: "That video
board probably sucks, it was recommended by a drone at Fry's" In the year
2000, their natural habitats include Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, and
CompUSA.