Re: [NTLK] [OT] newtontalk Digest V2 #439 Football and nationalism

From: Robert Fay (rfay_at_110.net)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 19:52:14 EDT

Christopher Lee wrote:

Think about it - you are talking about being swayed to the point of violence by the on-field performance of people who don't know you and probably wouldn't care to know you...professionals being PAID.

I think it's rather ultra-nationalists who use football as an excuse for beating the shit out of people from other nations. I am reminded of that song by Billy Bragg, the title of which I can't recall right now but whose refrain is "What do they know of England, who only England know." Apologies to anyone who thinks I'm singling out Brits by quoting this. I'm not. Nationalist hooligans come in all stripes (and stars for that matter).

Robert