Re: [NTLK] [Slightly OT] Apple Laptops

From: Chet Johns (cjohns_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 00:10:21 EDT

As the owner (or former owner) of several apple laptops, both ibooks and
powerbooks (and unfortunately one Toshiba) I recommend you look into a
screen protector like the ones at Other world computing. The grease from
your fingers has a tendency to build up on the keys and is easily
transferred to the screen giving you a smudgy screen which is especially
distracting under certain lighting conditions. I've tried all kinds of
screen cleaners with only minor improvement (be careful what you put on your
screen to clean it, alcohol wipes are definitely out). OWC sells a thin
leather sheet you place over your keys before closing the lid. I currently
use a piece of white paper which has helped. When I get around to buying
that new G4 powerbook (the 1 MHz model I hope will be out this summer) I
think I'll invest in a keyboard cover. By the way, MacOS X does seem to run
much faster on a 500 MHz pismo than a 500 or 600 MHz ibook. The bus speed
difference is really evident as both of these models are G3 processors.
-Chet