Re: [NTLK] Data from dead Newton - Always Fresh Backup?

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 08:51:04 EDT

on 20/06/02 07:43, Chris_at_Backstage at webmaster_at_backstage.de wrote:

>> Did you always start with a fresh backup ? Rule number one with backups of a
>> Newt is not to keep updating the last one you made, but instead start fresh
>> each time.
>
> Do I understand this correctly: It is recommended to first delete the
> previous backup. Or if you got a whole card for it, to erase the whole card.
> And then do the backup?
>
> Otherwise the Newton would only backup what has changed and that could
> possibly lead to errors?

That's it. If you leave the backup file, the Newton will do an incremental
backup, backing up only what has changed since the last time you did that
backup, and that's when things can get screwed up. There has been numerous
reports from people that, when they tried to restore from their backup, NCU
was spitting some errors, complaining that the backup file was corrupted.

So, it's best to do full backups if you don't want to take any chance. You
don't have to delete the backup file, just move it somewhere else than the
designated backup directory. I, for one, have an "archived" one where I
always keep the previous backup I did. Just in case...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style: brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute force and ignorance).