Re: [NTLK] Solar Powered Newton

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 08:58:19 EST

> I'm curious if any solar panel projects for the newton have been
> started or completed. It seems they are coming down in price and
> assuming all we need is 400mA and 5v for the 2x00 series to charge and
> run the newton 2x00 (from Newton FAQ) it's quite possible to build a
> cheap and reasonable sized solar charger and powering device.
I made tests with a solar cell just as big as the lid of the MP2k is and was
very satisfied. It didn't charge as fast as with the 1Ampere of the standard
9W AC adapter but it charged fully even with a low winter sun in Switzerland
behind a window.

Attention should be paid if your solar panel is capable of delivering more
than 7.5V AND higher currents of lets say above 500mA, which might be the
case in the southern US.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand