Re: [NTLK] Basilisk/File Types

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 08:47:09 EST

> I also tried copying the file from the PC drive to my Desktop, but NCU
> still doesn't recognize the files.
It could be that NCU shows only files which have the Creator and filetype
set properly. These are two 4 char strings which each file gets under MacOS
and does basically similar things as the three letter extension on the
DOS/WIN box. Under Win/DOS environments this isn't set nor used and MacOS
automagically uses something like "????" and/or "TEXT".

You could use PackType on the Mac before using NCU or an AppleScript too,
that's what I do because I need several different of these assignments. You
could also try to set-up properly PC Exchange and assign .pkg to NCU,
respectively set the type to "pkg " (with space!) and the creator to "pkgX".
If you don't have PackType nor the AppleScript file you can also use ResEdit
or MacLinkPlus9.02 to change type/creator. MLP9 is anyway very handy to
convert Word or whatever editor file into a Newton Works document upon
import/export.

Sorry that I can not yet provide the AppleScript code, it is at home. You
could however create executable AppleScript icons (like BAT files :-) and
the drop the pkgs onto to have type/creator changed.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG