Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Card troubles

From: eric a . Farris (eafarris_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 08:14:47 EST

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 04:48:47PM -0500, Peter Cameron wrote:

> "eric a . Farris" <eafarris_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > i've got a 3Com/Megahertz ethernet card (3CCE589ET)
> > When i insert the card, it is properly
> > recognized by the Newton, ... after a few seconds,
> > though, the lights go out, and the connection drops.
>
> Does it drop the connection while in use or while idle? The power saving feature should cause the card to 'sleep' when it's not doing anything.
> I have one of these cards and had no problem (other than power consumption) with it in the Newt. I used the Farallon driver with the 3CXE589DT/3CXE589ET/3CXE589EC patch.

That's an idea, except:
  1) The Newton is always plugged in
  2) If the card does go to sleep, the Connection Slip is unable to wake
     it up again.

Others have suggested that the card may be faulty. i'll test that out
today.

--
eric a. Farris  eafarris_at_bigfoot.com  www.bigfoot.com/~eafarris
Systems Administrator

Generated by Signify v1.07. For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. -- Theodore Roosevelt