Re: [NTLK] Idea for Newt Sync development

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 12:22:03 EST

On 08/03/02 11:46, "John Goggan" <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> Victor Rehorst wrote:
>>> Um, if I have Windows -- do I have any "various export options"
>>> besides NCU? Because I'm getting the famous (-1) error -- and
> [...]
>> The FAQ lists a whole bunch..
>>
>> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB3b
>
> Sorry, I guess I phrased that incorrectly. I meant to be able to back it up
> and restore. Basically, I've been thinking about this because I recently went
> from a 16MB card to a 32MB card. Instead of being able to just back it up and
> restore to the new card, I had to manually move everything from one to the
> other using SBM Utilities and such. Quite a pain -- and risky too (in case
> the 32MB card died or something since I could only move, not copy).
>
> So -- what I meant was -- some other option for backing up with the ability to
> restore (like an entire card) -- not just export the data from the Newton to
> the PC (which I don't really care that much about :).

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. NCU is exactly doing
this, albeit not in a perfect way. But if can backup the entire content of a
card, packages and soups, and restore them without any problem.

Like others suggested, check the FAQ, if you have a fast processor, run
SlowDown one or two times, and make sure you're doing a full backup, not an
incremental one. To do so, make sure that there isn't any backup file for
your card sitting in the directory selected in NCU for backup.

-Laurent.

finger-pointing syndrome n.: All-too-frequent result of bugs, esp. in new or
experimental configurations. The hardware vendor points a finger at the
software. The software vendor points a finger at the hardware. All the poor
users get is the finger.