Re: [NTLK] Taking notes on Newton

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 12:24:39 EST

Back in highschool (many years ago) I had a teacher
who made a request that I type all of my assignments
because my handwriting was an "uncrackable code" and
she would give me an "F" on any papers she couldn't
read...So, for the next 20 years, I never wrote more
than two or three words longhand...Everything was
typed. Even letters to girlfriends were typed (how
romantic, huh?)
Then when I got my first MP with os2.0, I was hooked!
This thing recognized my scrawl! Since then I haven't
looked back. I get 98-100% recognition (depending on
if I'm in a hurry or in a bouncy car or not) and with
recognition enhancements (alt.rec) and customizing
expansions (recognize the word "tne" as "the") I can
comfortably take notes at any meeting, write out any
URL or dial any phone number all with handwriting.
I've said this on this list before...the entire point
of a "Personal Device" is to adapt itself to your way
of working, not the other way around. I refuse to
modify my behaviour just so some mechanical device can
function properly. That really doesn't make sense.
Hey...I just though of this...the Newton isn't a
"revolutionary" device, it's an "evolutionary"
device...it adapts!
.Ed
web/gadget guru
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

--- James Lopez <jimmlop_at_mac.com> wrote:

> I'm waiting on my MP 130 (mailed payment off today)
> and I'm wondering
> about HW recognition. As you all are probably aware
> taking notes is
> pretty impractical on a palm. Well at least on my
> Palm Pilot (model
> that came out right before Palm III) with palm OS
> 2.0.
>
> After reading the list here and other articles, it
> seems that it pretty
> easy to actually take notes and such on the MP. Is
> this really the
> case? How much easier is it?
>
> This is one main reason I'm getting the Newton and I
> hope that the
> impression I've gotten from everyone here is right.
>
> Thanks for all the responses to my earlier newbie
> question.
>
> Jim Lopez

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -