Re: [NTLK] hypertext creation tool for newton?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 14:28:03 EST

Am 13.3.2002 18:59 Uhr schrieb "Alexander Oberd=F6rster" unter
<oberdoer_at_uni-duesseldorf.de>:
>> I better stop now... ;-)
> Don't. It's just getting interesting :)
It does, really! :-)
=20
> Maybe it's getting a bit OT, but IMO this would be a feature that would
> really go beyond paper emulation. Go ahead and flame me for this, but I
> still don't see a good reason why I shouldn't just take my notes on a
> paper notepad instead of a Newton.
Beside paper the Newton as it is has several advantages over paper: 1.
Saving trees and 2. Reproduceability/Printability/etc.. Don't forget that!
The hyperlink adds one more feature but I'm already quite satisfied with th=
features of MoreInfo. Linking of a note to a name, date, Works, Spreadsheet=
,
sound or whatever else is in the menu is beyond I need.

Links between words would let you jump from note to note by simple taps. In
order to edit a linked word one would have to remove the link first or use =
special 'linked word editor slip'. And I would like to warn about linking
everything: It bears lots of problems, e.g. What happens with links of
erased words or erased notes? The whole link chain is then broken and tons
of links to nothing are left or would have to be removed by any automated
function.=20
=20
Plotting graphs is possible with NewtWorksCalc. Solving equations and
typesetting not. There was a small extension which let you write a math
equation and created a pixel map from that for inclusion in a Works doc. Bu=
it was not PostScript and one could see the poor resolution and I finally
chose to use a desktop machine for that sort of work. The Newton is not
intended to do desktop publishing nor handle complex algebraic solutions
including their mathematically and aesthetically correct display.

I'm more than happy if my registered MathLib is recognized by WorksCalc and
allows to use e.g. the Bessel function or the algebraic solution of
differentials and integrals. Sometimes it doesn't but Jonathan Kipling
Knigth from Prism Research (http://hometown.aol.com/NewtsPrism) is a very
helpful guy.=20
--=20
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!