Re: [NTLK] hypertext creation tool for newton?

From: Alexander Oberdörster (oberdoer_at_uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 16:42:17 EST

> Beside paper the Newton as it is has several advantages over paper:

> 1. Saving trees

Don't be so sure about that. Building one newton consumes an enourmous
amount of energy and resources (for mining all the noble metals etc).
When it's on, a Newton also consumes energy.

> and 2. Reproduceability/Printability/etc..

But then you're not saving trees :)

> Links between words would let you jump from note to note by simple
> taps. In order to edit a linked word one would have to remove the link
> first or use = a special 'linked word editor slip'. And I would like to
> warn about linking everything: It bears lots of problems, e.g. What
> happens with links of erased words or erased notes? The whole link
> chain is then broken and tons of links to nothing are left or would
> have to be removed by any automated function.

Well, it would work the way I think and write. I would just write
overviews and add specific descriptions later, or write a text and add
detailed descriptions for single terms. I don't have a need for moving
links around or editing them. Wikis also work without this capability.

> Plotting graphs is possible with NewtWorksCalc. Solving equations and
> typesetting not. There was a small extension which let you write a math
> equation and created a pixel map from that for inclusion in a Works
> doc. But it was not PostScript and one could see the poor resolution
> and I finally chose to use a desktop machine for that sort of work. The
> Newton is not intended to do desktop publishing nor handle complex
> algebraic solutions including their mathematically and aesthetically
> correct display.

Well, maybe I'm a bit optimistic about the Newton's capabilities.
Especially the algebra part would be tricky with the fixed point
arithmetics of the Newton.

> I'm more than happy if my registered MathLib is recognized by WorksCalc
> and allows to use e.g. the Bessel function or the algebraic solution of
> differentials and integrals. Sometimes it doesn't but Jonathan Kipling
> Knigth from Prism Research (http://hometown.aol.com/NewtsPrism) is a
> very helpful guy.

Looks cool. I'll check it out.

Alexander