Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ZLib for NewtonOS 1.1

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 06:29:08 EST

> Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:01:29 +0100
> From: Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_mac.com>
>
> on 14-03-2002 12:39, Paul Guyot at pguyot_at_kallisys.net wrote:
>
>> I'm pleased to announce ZLib for NewtonOS 1.1.
>
> So is ZLib 'only' used by developers or can we get zipped packages on our
> Newts and unzip them ?

Zlib by itself is a library;
it would be downloaded by any user who wants to use apps that require it.

two apps I've written that use it:
- Unzip -- a Newt's Cape plugin to unzip .zip files
  http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#Unzip
- newtVNC -- to view compressed screen data from another system
  http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#newtVNC

(Paul would have links to any known other apps on his Zlib page)

btw, I only tested with Zlib 1.0, but since the API seems to be compatible
(Paul indicated bug fixes and not major other changes), users should be able
to upgrade to Zlib 1.1 separately w/o me having to rebuild my apps -- one of
the beauties of the "unit" mechnism.

--
Steve