Re: [NTLK] ftp server on Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 13:51:17 EST

On 18/03/02 13:37, "Michael Moss" <mmoss_at_microsun.pl> wrote:

> Sorry about the subject, just forgot to erase it.
> OK, here's my situation. I'm running OSX and have an ethernet LAN at home.
> I'd like an easy way to share files (notes that I write on my eMate for
> academic papers and stuff) with my Mac.
> Any suggestions?

The problem with that is that you can't just exchange files between your
eMate and your desktop. It doesn't work like that, due to the innovative
nature of the Newton file system.

For instance, if you want to exchange RTF documents from NewtonWorks to
Microsoft Word, you will have to go through Newton Connection Utilities and
use the RTF Import/Export functions to do that.

-Laurent.

creationism n.: The (false) belief that large, innovative software designs
can be completely specified in advance and then painlessly magicked out of
the void by the normal efforts of a team of normally talented programmers.
In fact, experience has shown repeatedly that good designs arise only from
evolutionary, exploratory interaction between one (or at most a small
handful of) exceptionally able designer(s) and an active user population --
and that the first try at a big new idea is always wrong. Unfortunately,
because these truths don't fit the planning models beloved of management,
they are generally ignored.