Re: [NTLK] Hidden Packages?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 14:18:56 EST

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:54:46 -0500
From: Jacob Fisher <j_fisher_at_skidmore.edu>

>I am new to the mailing list, but I am a long time Newton user. Well
>here is my question: I have a 2100, but no interconnect dongle so the
>way I install software onto it is by installing it on my 130 and then
>beaming it over. I just found my Moto CELLect card and I have downloaded
>the drivers, but once it is installed on the 130 it disappears. I have
>tried about a half dozen different package apps, but none can find it.
>Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated.

The Modem Setup packages (what you call the drivers) have the
auto-delete flag set. This is totally different from the NIE packages
on the contrary to what I read in this thread (but it is like the
system patches).

* Unset the flag (change the 13th byte from 8X or 9X to 0X or 1X,
well, AND it with 7F). Or simply use Victor's NewtPackageFlags
(http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/pkgflags/).
* Install the package to the 130
* Beam it to the 2100
* Delete it on the 2100 and the 130
* Optionally delete the modem setup (in prefs->modem or with a soup
editor) on the 130.

HTH,

Paul

--