Re: [NTLK] Replace speaker?

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 01:20:55 EST

   I thought of this the other night. My question is, do you really
*want* to mar the surface of the newton with a ear-plug. Plus, a plug
on the side would be more useful, so you could stick the Newt in a (big)
pocket, holster, bag, etc.

   What about the idea of hacking up a battery? Take out one or two of
the cells, replace the ones left with high-capacity cells (or something
more exotic like LiIon on LiPolymer material), then stick audio in/out
out jacks on the outside. You could probably even make a circuit that
would let you charge the battery through the sound-out port (not while
the Newt was playing of course...) Don't know how useful that would be,
but it might allow you to charge it faster than the Newton's built-in
charging circuity can (pulse-charging?) Of course, the big problem here
is either figuring out how to modify the batteries (hard) or molding a
new battery case (either a lot harder or slighly easier if you have
access to a 10k milling machine..)

> Also, how do you drill a hole in the Newton's case cleanly?

Jim