Re: [NTLK] Replace speaker?

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 18:23:01 EST

At 04:23 PM 3/25/2002 -0500, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

>Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:53:23 -0500 (EST)
>From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Replace speaker?
>
>If the impedence was the same and it was rated for the same or similar
>wattage as the Newton's amp, then there's no reason you couldn't.

Cool. I did a little research. I can't find any reference to the Newton's
speaker and amplifier specs so if anybody has any leads I'd appreciate it.

Rat Shack has a few micro speakers:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F010%5F004%5F000&product%5Fid=910%2D3096

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F010%5F004%5F000&product%5Fid=900%2D8782

These are 30mm diameter and have frequency response of 500-12Khz -- I need
to measure the Newt speaker to see how big it is. It might be smaller than
that. They have a 20mm one also but the frequency response is 0-5Khz, so it
probably wouldn't sound any better than the built-in one.

Then there's Digikey. The have several "micro speakers" listed at:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dksus.dll?Criteria?Ref=89403&Cat=26936258

including one 20mm Panasonic with "Full Range" frequency, whatever that is.
Sounds promising....

>An even cooler idea might be to replace the speaker with a slightly smaler
>unit, cut a little bit out of the case and install a headphone jack that
>would cut out the speaker once plugged in... meaning you could use
>headphones without using the dongle..

Daniel Padilla's web site shows how he easily wired a headphone jack in
series with the Newton speaker. Looks like it could be done fairly simply.
The only thing I worry about is how to mount the jack internally. Also, how
do you drill a hole in the Newton's case cleanly?