Re: [NTLK] D-Link WAP 713P

From: Warren Stone (wstone_at_nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 14:36:54 EST

The D-Link 713P has a parallel port print server so for a Mac you need a
Postscript printer with a Centronics style parallel port. You CANNOT print
to the printer via AppleTalk. You must use TCP/IP (LPR) only and you MUST
specify the que as "lp" (no quotes); not sure why just specifying the
default que does not work but I had to sniff packets from a Windows machine
to find the que name and then I was able to print. However the Newton CANNOT
print to this print server since it does not support TCP/IP printing.

However some print servers support AppleTalk. e.g. I have an older Intel
NetPort Pro100 at home which supports AppleTalk printing so I can print
wireless when I'm at home.

The D-Link does however support AppleTalk protocol between wired and
wireless devices. At work I can dock, sync and backup the Newton over the
D-Link WAP.

Warren