Re: [NTLK] Newton sound sample rate

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 23:35:17 EST

> For uncompressed data, the bit rate is equal
> to the sample rate times the sample size, in the case of the Voyager
> chipset, this is then 352.4 kbit/sec. If it could only do 5 kbit/sec in
> hardware, it would sound really terrible.

   I would imagine. Not to mention that frequencies would cut of at
2500Hz, which if memory serves is only somewhere about 3 octaves above
middle C. Eek! The 5kSa number might come from the number listed in
the Newton Prefs "Recording Quality" which is "5K/sec" Of course,
that's using some kind of audio codec.

Jim